THE GRAND CHESS÷OARD
American Primacy And It's Geostrategic Imperatives
A Division of HarperCollinsPublishers
ALSO BY ZBIGNIEW BRZEZINSKI
Out of Control: Global Turmoil on the Eve of the Twenty-first Century (1993)
The Grand Failure: The Birth and Death of Communism in the Twentieth Century (1989)
Game Plan: A Geostrategic Framework for the Conduct of the U.S.-Soviet Contest (1986)
Power and Principle: Memoirs of the National Security Adviser, 1977-1981 (1983)
Between Two Ages: America's Role in the Technetronic Era (1970)
The Soviet Bloc: Unity and Conflict (1960)
Copyright ¿ 1997 by Zbigniew Brzezinski.
For my students—to help them shape tomorrow's world
- The Short Road to Global Supremacy
- The First Global Power
- The American Global System
- Geopolitics and Geostrategy
- Geostrategic Players and Geopolitical Pivots
- Critical Choices and Potential Challenges
- Grandeur and Redemption
- America's Central Objective
- Europe's Historic Timetable
- Russia's New Geopolitical Setting
- Geostrategic Phantasmagoria
- The Dilemma of the One Alternative
- The Ethnic Cauldron
- The Multiple Contest
- Neither Dominion Nor Exclusion
- China: Not Global but Regional
- Japan: Not Regional but International
- America's Geostrategic Adjustment
- A Geostrategy for Eurasia
- A Trans-Eurasian Security System
- Beyond the Last Global Superpower
LIST OF CHARTS AND TABLES
Published by BasicBooks, a division of HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.
All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. For information address HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., 10 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022.
Designed by Elliott Beard
Maps by Kenneth Velasquez
Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
Brzezinski, Zbigniew K., 1928-
The grand chessboard : American primacy and its geostrategic imperatives Zbigniew Brzezinski.—1st ed.
1. United States—Foreign relations—1989-
2. Geopolitics—United States—History—20th Century.
3. Geopolitics—History—20th century.
4. World politics—1989-
5. Eurasia—Strategic aspects.
97 98 99 00 01 */KRD 10987654321